Secure Online Ordering Guaranteed!
Taking People With You: The Only Way to Make Big Things Happen
LS Price: $17.65
You Save: $8.30 (32%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Format: Hardcover, 256pp.
Publisher: Portfolio Hardcover
Pub. Date: January 3, 2012
Average Customer Review:
Order This Book!|
Secure Order Guarantee
Item No: 9781591844549
Description and Reviews
From The Publisher:
"This is the best, most practical hands-on book on leadership I've ever read. If you apply these principles, your career and the people you work with will flourish." —Dr. Bob Rotell a, sports psychologist
David Novak learned long ago that you can't lead a great organization of any size without getting your people aligned, enthusiastic, and focused relentlessly on the mission. But how do you do that? There are countless leadership books, but how many will actually help a Taco Bell shift manager, a Fortune 500 CEO, a new entrepreneur, or anyone in between?
Over his fifteen years at Yum! Brands, Novak has developed a trademarked program he calls Taking People with You. He spends several weeks each year personally teaching it to thousands of managers around the world. He convinces them that they'll never make big things happen until they learn how to get people on their side. No skill in business is more important. AndYum!'s extraordinary success (at least 13 percent growth for each of the last nine years) proves his point.
Novak knows that managers don't need leadership platitudes or business school theories. So he cuts right to the chase with a step-by- step guide to setting big goals, getting people to work together, blowing past your targets, and celebrating after you shock the skeptics. And then doing it again and again until consistent excellence becomes a core element of your culture.
This book has specific tools at the end of each chapter that will challenge you to reflect on how you're really doing on key aspects of leadership. And if you apply it, you'll immediately start to improve.
You'll learn how to . . .
Get ready to change the way you think about leadership—and more important, the way you practice it every day.
- Get inside the heads of your people. You can't convince them of anything until you see the world from their perspective.
- Think big. If your sales growth last year was 3.5 percent, don't aim for 4 percent this year, aim for 15 percent. Even if you fail, you'll probably do better than you would have with a smaller goal.
- Practice "extraordinary authenticity." Show occasional vulnerability and admit when you don't have the answers.
- Look for good ideas in unexpected places. Novak's team came up with Cool Ranch Doritos for Frito-Lay during a field trip to a grocery store's salad dressing aisle.
- Choose a can-do mind-set. There's a huge difference between a boss who says "We can try this" and one who says "We can do this!"
- Cheer for first downs, not just touchdowns. Publicly recognizing and rewarding small wins keeps everyone motivated for the long haul.
- Get rid of cynics. In many teams one person will reject your values and spread negative energy. Moving that person out will show everyone else you're serious.
Send us your favorite quotes or passages from this book.
About the Author
David Novak is the chairman and CEO of Yum! Brands, Inc., which operates in more than 112 countries and employs 1.4 million people. All three of the company's restaurant chains-KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell- are global leaders in fast food. Prior to leading Yum!, he was president of both KFC and Pizza Hut and held senior management positions at PepsiCo. He lives in Louisville, Kentucky.
Table of Contents
Write your own online review.
Find Items On Similar Subjects
The Education of an Accidental CEO: Lessons Learned from the Trailer Park to the Corner Office